Nutritional deficiencies can be caused not only by your lack of a nutritionally dense diet, but a inability to digest, absorb, and metabolize the macronutrients ( carbohydrates, fats, and proteins), vitamins and minerals. Your metabolism produces energy and all the chemicals that nourish your body’s cells as well as making them healthy and functioning normally.
Lack of health in the digestive system (From where food goes in to where it comes out) is linked to almost every chronic illness. The following information is food for thought. Actions based on this 5R Program may provide relief and may reduce the need for medication.
- Remove the triggers of inflammation. These include food intolerances, processed foods and their additives, some medications such as: antibiotics, NSAIDS, antacids, environmental toxins, mental or emotional stressors, and parasites. Use these actions:
- 2-4 day modified liquid fast
- 3-4 week 100% elimination diet of dairy, wheat, and other grains, corn, soy, eggs. Note, there may be other food intolerances. Reintroduce 1 food at a time 3 times a day for one day. Reevaluate for symptoms such as skin, respiratory, allergies, behavior changes, digestive or sensory/neurological.
- Replace with anti-inflammatory, high fiber fruits and vegetables of many colors, consider digestive aids such as betaine HCL with pepsin, organic apple cider vinegar, (2 TBSP 20 minutes before eating with 8 oz water little if any liquid with meals.) Digestive bitter herbs with meals. Bitter greens ie dandelions, arugula, endive, pancreatic enzymes. Encapsulate 1-2 drops cardamom oil in capsule with carrier oil and take before a meal. You will need to research how to supplement with betaine HCL and pepsin as well as digestive bitters.
- Repopulate intestine with healthy microbes. This may require reducing or eliminating unhealthy microbes such as parasitic bacteria and yeast (candida). See information on intestinal parasite protocol. Probiotic supplements from many sources: organic plain yogurt and kefer (goat milk sourcing may be better), bubbies sour kraut and pickles, kimchee, kombucha. You will have to research any pills which could be helpful.
- Repair the intestinal lining. Bone broth and marshmallow or slippery elm herb may be helpful.
- Rebalance and restore: Stress management techniques (heartmath and mindfulness based stress reduction.) Adequate sleep and exercise, and consider supplementing with aswaganda 1 gram or ½ teaspoon/day.
A protocol for eliminating intestinal parasites: SIBO (Small intestine bacterial overgrowth) and/or candidiasis.
- Non FODMAP diet
- Cook with or add to salad, anti-parasitic herbs and spices, garlic, thyme, sage, oregano, clove, cinnamon, with meals.
- 3 round 4 day rotation anti-parasitics for 16 days (total of 48 days) Titrate 1-3 drops in carrier oil such as coconut, in capsule using oregano, garlic, or thyme. Also berberine herb and saccharomyces boulardii (medicinal fungus) may be helpful.
- Food grade diatomaceous earth, redmond clay and activated charcoal ¼ tsp each in 8oz smoothie or water.